1. Contestants from prior TALENT QUEST national contests are eligible to enter the 2014 contest at any level, with the
exception of the 2013 1st place winners who must sit out for one year in the category they won in.
2. All notices, rule changes, contestant advancements or other pertinent information will be posted on a bulletin board
located near or inside the Pavilion Showroom.
3. Each contestant is responsible for providing their own discs for competition. There will be a song library available for
contestant use during contest rounds. It is contestant’s responsibility for writing the correct number/track down for your
song selection. If incorrect information is written on your song card points will be deducted from your score. Points
deducted will not exceed 3 points per judge.
4. All contestants will sing in two preliminary rounds. No contestants will be eliminated until Friday. First preliminary
round will be Monday and Tuesday. Second preliminary round will be Wednesday and Thursday. At or about 8am on
Friday the numbers of 20 male, 20 female contestants advancing from each category will be posted. These 120
contestants will compete in the Friday semi-final round. Times for each round will be posted on a bulletin board located
near or inside the Pavilion Showroom door.
5. All contestants will have their individual scores from rounds one and two added together to determine which
contestants advance to the semi-final round Friday, if there is a tie for 5th place tie breaker will be determined by vocal
scores. Top 120 contestant’s semi-final round scores will be added to rounds one and two to determine top 10
contestants in each category. All final night scores will be added to previous rounds to determine the winner of the
6. At approximately 8am on Saturday, a notice providing the contestant number of 5 male and 5 female contestants
from each of the categories will be posted, if there is a tie for 5th place tie breaker will be determined by vocal scores.
These contestants will meet in the Pavilion showroom at 1pm for a finalist meeting. These contestants will compete
Saturday beginning at 5pm for the National Singing Championship.
7. Contestants must use different songs for each of the rounds (Preliminary 1, 2, semi-finals & finals). For a total of 4
songs if advancing to the final night.
8. Contestants may perform the same song as another contestant in any round.
9. At times contestants will not appear at their prescribed time to perform, thus eliminating them from that round of
competition. When this occurs it speeds up the contest process, thus changing the order of appearance time for
contestants due to compete. It is the contestant's responsibility to be present when his or her number is called for
competition regardless of the estimated and posted start time. Contestants who do not appear when their number is
called will receive a zero for that round of competition. It is suggested that contestants be in the showroom 30 minutes
prior to your posted competition time. Contestants must have their song and disc turned into TALENT QUEST emcee's
two songs prior to their performance.
10. Each contestant is required to sign an eligibility/waiver of liability/registration form. Contestants not doing so will not
be allowed to advance to the national finals.
11. The order of contestant appearance will be done by random drawing prior to being posted at the Pavilion
Showroom. Contestants will be grouped into their respective categories for all judged events.
12. Fairness is the main objective in this contest. To that end the contestants name and/or number will be the only
identifying marker used during the competition. Area, town or location of the competing contestant will not be
announced. The exception to this rule will be when making the presentation of awards on finals night.
13. Songs used by contestants in the two preliminary rounds are limited to 4 minutes. Songs continuing beyond the 4
minute mark will be cut at the 4 minute mark. Judges will be instructed not to make any deductions due to a song being
cut short. Contestants continuing to sing after the time limit and music stoppage will have points deducted from their
scores. Deducted points not to exceed 3 points per judge.
14. Songs used by contestants in the semi-final round are limited to 4 minutes and 30 seconds. Remainder of rule 13
15. Songs used by contestants in the final round are limited to 5 minutes. Remainder of rule 13 applies.
16. Upon completion of performances in preliminary and semi-final rounds the contestant is given a brief moment to
bow and take audience applause, then must immediately exit the stage and take along any props used by the
contestant. A delay by the contestant to leave the stage area will result in points being deducted from the contestant's
score. Deducted points not to exceed 3 points per judge.
17. Contestants must sing from a legally manufactured Karaoke CDG. The CDG's must be manufactured and sold on
the retail market. Such discs as Priddis/ProSound, Pocket Songs, Star Tracks, etc., that are void of graphics, are
allowed. No downloaded discs are allowed, "exception"; downloads from Priddis/ProSound may be used at the nationals
as long as the contestant has the original receipt of purchase with them. No laser or other type discs are allowed. No
tapes are allowed. No downloaded discs will be allowed in Caboose Lounge.
18. A contestant who approaches any TALENT QUEST representative and attempts to use a "illegally burned" or
"pirated" disc will be disqualified from advancing in the competition.
19. Using "illegally burned" or “pirated” discs is a serious copyright infringement and is against the law. Contestants
found to be using "illegally burned" or "pirated" discs at any time during any portion of the competition will be
immediately disqualified from advancing in the competition. No Exceptions. This includes open-Mic performances in the
20. Reasonable care is taken by TALENT QUEST, its sponsors, representatives and the Tropicana Express Hotel &
Casino to provide adequate equipment for contestants. All contestants will be required to sign an affidavit holding
TALENT QUEST, any of its sponsors, representatives, or the Tropicana Hotel & Casino harmless should any problem
occur as a result of malfunctioning equipment or disc failure during competition.
21. Due to time constraints, a disc that fails to play, skips in mid-performance, or has any other malfunction does not
give the contestant the right to start over or use a different disc during rounds one and two or semi-final round. The
cause of malfunction may or may not be taken into consideration for allowing a contestant to continue. A contestant who
has performed a portion of their song prior to any malfunction may or may not have their performance cut short. In the
case of such action the judges will be instructed to judge the contestant as though the contestant completed the song.
22. Contestants, their family members or associates are not allowed to have any contact with any judge during the
contest performance periods. Judges on break during a contest period are treated as though they are still judging the
contest. Offering bribes of any nature to a judge to help advance a contestant is strictly prohibited. Contestants, do not
hang out with the judges, don't drink with them, and don't eat with them. It is okay to say hello when passing them in the
hall but, there is no reason for you to develop any kind of relationship with them.
23. Decisions of the judges are final.
24. Any contestant, family member or associates who argue the decision of the judges may be considered unruly and
the contestant may be disqualified from advancing in competition. Should the argument concerning the judged outcome
of a final event, and the contestant be awarded a prize that contestant may be stripped of the prize and such prize
awarded to another contestant.
25. Contestants, their family or associates who exhibit offensive behavior during any portion of the contest will disqualify
that contestant from further competition. If the contestant, their family or associates exhibit offensive behavior after the
contestant has competed, and such behavior is on the Tropicana Hotel & Casino property, even after the winners are
announced, that contestants score will be nullified. If the contestant whose score has been nullified is a winning
contestant, the next contestant in scoring position for that particular category shall be the winner. It will not be the
responsibility of TALENT QUEST or any of its representatives to recover any money or prize awarded a contestant who
is later disqualified or found to be ineligible following the final event and decision of the judges.
26. TALENT QUEST will have present, during all phases of the National contest, a representative to answer a complaint
concerning TALENT QUEST competitions. No TALENT QUEST representative shall answer a complaint concerning the
outcome of a judged event.
27. Complaints, not made in person, concerning any breach of TALENT QUEST rules must be made in writing and sent
by registered mail to: TALENT QUEST, P.O. Box 94816, Del City, OK 73143. A complaint must reach the TALENT
QUEST office no later than October 1, 2014 to be considered for action. Such complaint should include all relevant facts
concerning such complaint. If the complaint concerns the eligibility of a winning contestant the complaint must include
relevant documents. Any statements of fact are to be notarized, including statements by witnesses.
28. Contest prize money will be paid immediately following the announcement of winners. Any complaint found to be
valid concerning the disqualification of a winning contestant will not constitute a right of the contestant next in line to
advance or receive additional prize payment until the disqualified contestant has returned such money or prize awarded.
It will not be the responsibility of TALENT QUEST or any of its representatives to recover any money or prize awarded a
contestant who is later disqualified or found to be ineligible following the final event and decision of the judges.
29. Prize money is as follows: 1st place in each category is $2,500 + Trophy, 2nd place is $1,000 + Trophy, 3rd place
$500 + Trophy, 4th place $200 + trophy, 5th place $100 + trophy. Each 1st place contestant may be offered
opportunities as they become available.
30. No adjustment for prize money will be made for any category regardless of the number of contestants entered for
that particular category.
31. Regional sites are required to supply winning contestants with travel allowance, National entry fee and hotel
accommodations. It is not the responsibility of TALENT QUEST to furnish any contestant travel allowance or
accommodations regardless of any regional site not fulfilling its obligation to supply the winning contestants with travel
allowance, entry fee or hotel accommodations.
32. Contestants that would like their scores for each round need to e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org include your
contestant Number. Or send a self addressed stamped envelope to TALENT QUEST - P.O. Box 94816 - Oklahoma City,
OK. 73143. All requests must reach us by October 20, 2014. Scores will not be available after this date.
THESE RULES MAY BE CHANGED OR MODIFIED AT ANY TIME BY TALENT QUEST OWNERS ONLY.
|Talent Quest National Karaoke Singing Contest
PO Box 94816, Oklahoma City, OK 73143
P: (405) 672-1136 F: (405) 672-1203
Copyright © 2011, 2012 Talent Quest
Design by Steve's Pro-Web Service
ABSOLUTELY NO ILLEGALLY BURNED
ILLEGALLY DOWNLOADED CD's OR CDG's ALLOWED - NO EXCEPTIONS ***
Using "illegally burned" discs is a serious copyright infringement and is
against the law.
No recording devices, such as cameras, video cameras or cell phone
cameras will be allowed in the Pavilion Showroom during the week of competition.
All contestant performances will be available for purchase after each performance
CHAPARRAL MEDIA PRODUCTIONS
|Rules and Regulations NATIONAL LEVEL – 2014
National level rules are the same as local and regional rules except for the following: